Director, Data Science
SVP, Product, Technology and Operations
Data is CAQH’s most critical asset. You will change how we understand and work with it. CAQH is seeking a hands-on leader for our Health Data Science team. The Data Science Lead will take the prime role in analyzing and delivering results based on large health care databases – from CAQH, from health plans and third parties. They will preferably have experience in health plan performance and quality measurement and comparative effectiveness analysis. As a senior member of the Product and Technology team, the selected individual will contribute to business development activities and will mentor the research staff. The successful candidate can understand content area, determine what the data means, define analysis plans, select appropriate statistical methods and tools, conduct quantitative analysis, program solutions in statistical or other programming languages, ensure an effective quality analysis plan, and communicate with clients. This is a highly technical and applied leadership position requiring experience with data science, algorithms, software development and large-scale databases.
This role is full-time exempt position and reports to the Senior Vice President, Product, Technology and Operations.
- Set the direction and development of CAQH’s data science and machine learning algorithms, structure, tools, and processes to obtain significant improvements in data accuracy levels based on the goals of the executive management team and CAQH Board of Directors.
- Direct a Data Science team to support the breadth of CAQH data needs. Work within the team and across our products on the science, design, execution, and reporting of projects associated with data and data science. Engage the data team to enhance their intellectual curiosity and technical skills.
- Serve as a member of the CAQH Leadership Council providing thought leadership and direction towards CAQH’s mission, strategy, objectives, and tactical projects.
- Study our data from multiple angles, determine what the data means and recommends the best possible way to analyze it. Identify trends and patterns determining what is noise and what is good data and convey that understanding to others.
- Develop analytical plans for research and analytics including: algorithm selection (data mining, machine learning etc.), advanced probability & statistics, predictive modeling, machine learning, relational database design, program design, selection of statistical methods and development of formats.
- Conduct programming tasks and statistical analyses including preparation and cleaning of data, implementation and refinement of statistical methods, preparation of results, creation of databases and other outputs, and verification of the accuracy of results. Participate in quality assurance processes.
- Lead, design, plan, and execute programming approaches to support various development projects. Code at an expert level in applications such as SAS, R, Python. Drive relational database design as well as the use of MongoDB and Hadoop/HDF.
- Present analytic results to customers, CAQH staff and other researchers incorporating descriptions of methods, relevant literature, and other background material to provide context for the results.
- Represent CAQH to technical and business audiences. Advance the company’s reputation as a leading provider of quality assured provider data. Enhance CAQH reputation for scientific leadership in performance measurement through publications, conference talks, etc.
- Lead technical (econometric modeling/statistics) reviews of health-related proposals and deliverables.
Manage a small but growing data science team, ensuring they deliver against current commitments and can grow into our future needs.
- Strong quantitative skills, including random assignment evaluation, quasi-experimental design, and mixed method evaluation strategies. Skilled at developing and applying univariate and multivariate modeling techniques, hypothesis testing.
- Proficiency in statistical software packages strong programming skills in other languages such as Python, C# or Java required. Certifications a plus.
- Excellent ability to communicate complex technical material, both orally and in writing with the ability to explain complex models and analysis in layman terms.
- Preferably an extensive knowledge of one or more of the following areas: Medicare, Medicaid, comparative effectiveness, provider data.
- A track record of publications is a plus.
- Ten or more years of experience delivering algorithm innovation into commercial software-based products.
- Five or more years in health care in a data science or data related role.
- Five or more years of experience analyzing large datasets.
- Five or more years as a lead with experience in managing a team.
Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Mathematics or Computer Science with experience in health services research, applied statistics or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the necessary skills and abilities.