SVP, Product Strategy
Chief Growth Officer
Reporting to the Chief Growth Officer, this position is accountable for the overall strategy and growth of CAQH’s new and existing products including, but not limited to, product strategy, product profit/loss margins, roadmaps, industry adoption and commercialization, business cases, and ongoing successful functionality. Working collaboratively with peers across technology, enterprise strategy, marketing, sales, finance and operations, the SVP, Product Strategy will provide deep insight and rigorous analytics in support of future product offerings all on a single technology platform. Business case development, strategy, innovation, features, capabilities, road maps and maintenance activities across our existing and future product portfolio are incumbent in this role. This position also serves as a leader that will develop, enhance and maintain a positive and accountable culture among the product strategy and product management staff. This is a full-time, exempt, remote position.
Managing a team of Product Management Leaders, Product Managers, and Product Owners/Business Analysts, and UI Designers across the CAQH portfolio, the SVP Product Strategy is responsible for the following:
Thought Leadership and Innovation – Promote leading healthcare industry and organizational thinking, cultivate new ideas, foster innovation, and provide subject matter expertise across settings. Frame complex trends into logical, implementable services/products. Ensure investments outline sound business justifications and returns that align with CAQH’s mission.
Portfolio Management - Collaborate closely with Technology Delivery & Infrastructure teams to ensure continual alignment of solutions with business strategies, expected timelines and financial metrics. Ensure the overall portfolio health of CAQH’s products by driving through product bugs and maintenance items as reported by Account Management, Operations, Providers, and Clients.
Strategic Product Roadmap and Business Case Development – Direct a team that oversees a portfolio of new and existing products that aligns with approved mid and long-term organizational strategies.
- At a minimum, direct the development and updates of product roadmaps on a quarterly basis, product scorecards on a monthly basis, and business cases within pre-defined deadlines.
- Support the conduct of market research, proof of concept strategies, and feature and function conceptual capabilities for existing and new CAQH solutions.
- Champion and support the conduct of a collaboratively designed product development lifecycle discipline for existing and new CAQH solutions.
- Direct the development of business cases with clear scope, objectives, features, functions, cost estimates, implementation plans, and revenue targets to advocate product concepts internally and externally to obtain buy-in and drive industry adoption.
- Direct collaborative efforts for the development, commercialization, growth, maturity, and retirement of products within the Solutions portfolio.
- Measure and report the actual results of the overall product strategy to its plan.
- Review Strategic Product Roadmap CAQH ELT and/or Board as needed.
Collaboration – Collaborate with multiple areas including CAQH’s Strategy, Account Management, Sales, Operations, Technology, and Finance departments to address existing product gaps, design issues, and adoption targets. Also collaborate with Vendor Procurements Services to ensure that optimal business terms align with product service and growth expectations.
Marketing Department Collaboration – Support market research efforts and processes associated with new and existing products. Adjust product priorities to ensure timely information is delivered to product marketers including product descriptions, business capabilities and feature sets.
Revenue Ownership – Share ownership of product revenue with Sales and Account Management stakeholders outlining measurable business value and returns. Propose and meet annual revenue targets for new and existing products. Ensure revenue growth year over year based on CAQH board and executive team’s targets.
Demand Management and Delivery – Direct the overall prioritization of product enhancements as requested by internal and external stakeholders and ensure product client commitments are defined and met.
Business Development Support and Subject Matter Expertise – Direct internal Business Development teams with input on sales materials, conducting sales training, identifying new markets, and advising on short and long-term sales strategies of existing and new products. Participate in Sales support and account management presentations as needed. Provide executive-level recommendations based on long term sales forecast and industry trends.
Staff Management – Direct and organize, motivate, and mentor a team of professionals to achieve departmental and organizational objectives and a culture of innovation, collaboration, agility, productivity, accountability, business acumen, and product subject matter expertise. Ensure staff remain focused on approved/priority work and approved discretionary projects. Demonstrate ability to effectively lead and manage staff through hiring and retaining very talented people with diverse experiences and skills. Provide timely staff evaluations and development plans.
Budget and Resource Management – Define, manage and meet approved departmental budget targets. Manage and report on monthly budget actuals and provide variance explanations and mitigation plans as needed.
Board and Organizational Goals – Meet multi-year goals as outlined by the CAQH Board of Directors and Executive Management team. Outline specific annual plans and quantitively measure progress against plans (for example improving data accuracy).
Organizational Process Adherence – Follow and direct the staff support of established product development lifecycle organizational processes including the strategy, execution, growth, and end of life methods and processes.
- Possess a deep knowledge of health plan and provider business needs, healthcare solutions, trends and CAQH competitors.
- Market-facing research and analytics experience to translate customer needs and product enhancements between sales/marketing and product development.
- Demonstrate an ability to grow P/L lines within a healthcare business.
- Ability to develop and manage product lifecycles to meet ROI and profitability expectations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with participating organizations, providers, user workgroups and advisory committees, and business and technical stakeholders using their terminology.
- Possess a broad set of influencing skills (ability to influence people and strategic direction without direct control and/or authority).
- Ability to manage teams and work collaboratively and effectively across matrixed organizations using diplomacy.
- Proven excellent interpersonal skills with strong and persuasive oral and written communication skills, including executive presentations.
- Demonstrated ability in delivering innovative solutions and services within the healthcare industry.
- Expertise in the use of technologies to enable multi-stakeholder utility services.
- Visionary, with an ability to translate vision into actionable roadmap.
- Proven track record of exceeding goals in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to frame complex trends into logical implementable services/products with contingency plans for unexpected setbacks and challenges.
- Direct and manage business processes while looking for improvement opportunities.
- Continuous learner with a passion for market-driven innovation.
- Ability to think from the customer’s point of view.
- Creative leader with an analytic mindset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively with business and technical teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with diverse large multi-stakeholder groups.
- Highly organized and efficient with excellent follow-up skills.
- Ability to develop effective work teams, and direct and motivate staff to successful outcomes.
- Display consistent executive presence, professionalism, and good judgment.
- 15+ years in healthcare specifically directly working for health plans or providers in an operational or product development role.
- 10+ years in product development/product management in healthcare with a proven business focus in growing products and services.
- Technical abilities required to work effectively with product development teams and in collaborating in software development lifecycles and maintenance activities and methods including a background in SaFE.
- Executive level leadership in high-growth environments.
- Experience facilitating diverse work groups to consensus.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required, concentration in Business, Finance, Accounting, Marketing, or Information Systems preferred; Masters preferred.
- SaFE certifications preferred.