Pay claims correctly the first time
COB Smart® identifies primary and secondary coverage and determines primacy weekly, before claims are paid, to increase payment accuracy and reduce administrative costs associated with recovery.
- Increase identification of new secondary COB coverage
- Improved payment accuracy
- Reduce costs from member canvassing, claim reprocessing, data validation and recovery
- Automate manual processes
- Improve provider and member satisfaction by expediting eligibility and claims processes
How COB Smart Works
- Offers the only national commercial and state database for member eligibility data updated weekly
- Data from more than 45 health plans matched to identify overlapping coverage
- Medical-to-medical overlaps validated with 99.5 percent accuracy
- New coverage overlaps delivered to you every Monday
- COB Smart portal facilitates member research, plan-to-plan inquires and tracking for faster COB resolution
Toolkit: Take Your COB Process from Recovery to Prevention
Focusing your COB process on early identification of overlapping coverage increases efficiency and cost savings. Download our toolkit to get a step-by-step guide to moving your COB process from "pay and chase" to prospective.
A regional Blue Cross / Blue Shield health plan raised its coordination of benefits (COB) rate from 4 percent to 9 percent, reduced the instances it paid primary and increased the instances it paid secondary on claims. Learn more.
Learn how a large, highly regarded health plan serving states in the mid-Atlantic region streamlined COB processes and reduced spend on recovery vendors, saving more than $220 million annually. Keep reading.
Premera BlueCross Improves Payment Integrity with COB Smart
Poor Coordination of Benefits Puts Member Satisfaction in Peril
When coordination of benefits is handled poorly, members are left to fill in the blanks, leading to frustration and errors. Read more.